Updated: Some small changes to improve clarity
This 15 question checklist is suitable for all charities, although some questions might not be relevant to your charity’s size and how it operates.
As trustees, you can use it whenever you review the way your charity operates, especially in changing or uncertain economic climates. This may be informal discussions or items on the agenda at trustee meetings, AGMs, awaydays or planning meetings.
The checklist can help you:
- structure discussions about what your charity does and how it does it
- make sure your charity is financially secure, even in tougher economic times
- develop plans and timetables for action
- demonstrate you are responding appropriately to change
The checklist includes links to Charity Commission guidance and covers:
- strategy – opportunities and risks
- financial health
- governance, including safeguarding
- making best use of resources
Listen to our podcasts for further information:
Big Board Talk – Part 1
Nick Mott from the Charity Commission and Jane Tully from Charity Finance Group discuss the questions a trustee board should ask themselves about their strategic plan and their financial health.
Big Board Talk – Part 2
Nick Mott from the Charity Commission and Jane Tully from Charity Finance Group discuss the questions a trustee board should ask themselves about how effective they are as a board and whether they are making the most of their resources.