This memorandum provides a framework for closer working between the Charity Commission for England and Wales (CCEW) and the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland (CCNI).
CCEW and CCNI are fully committed to the aims of the memorandum, which are to assist in their respective functions in the following ways to:
- promote a common understanding of CCEW and CCNI’s responsibilities, working procedures, legal powers and constraints
- promote co-operation between CCEW and CCNI’s staff at a strategic and operational level
- facilitate effective investigation with the objective of prevention, detection and remedy of misconduct or mismanagement in the administration of charities and charitable funds
- maximise information sharing about charities in the public interest
- ensure the effective disclosure of information in compliance with all relevant legislation
- ensure appropriate consultation on matters of relevant and significant policy initiatives to ensure that charities comply fully with their legal obligations and adopt best practice in governance and accountability