The Charity Commission, the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales, is inviting trustees, charities and charity advisers to attend its next public meeting on Thursday 26 March 2015 at the Falcon Hotel, Carmarthen.
The focus of the event will be on trustee duties and responsibilities. Attendees will hear from senior staff at the commission and take part in discussions to find out more about good governance, common problems for charities and how to protect your charity.
The meeting will be chaired by William Shawcross, the Chairman of the commission and attendees will hear presentations from senior staff at the commission on:
- the commission’s key priorities and upcoming challenges with a Q & A from William Shawcross
- a panel discussion about trustee duties and responsibilities, based on participants’ questions
- commission’s engagement with trustees when things go wrong – examples from our case work experience
- group work based on actual examples of the issues facing trustees today and a chance to share problems and solutions
The meeting will be free to attend and will take place from 11am to 3pm, and will include a sandwich lunch. Places will be issued on a first come, first served basis and will be limited to two per organisation initially.
The commission would like to hear from attendees in advance about what they consider the most challenging of their responsibilities as trustees. The commission is asking attendees to include this, along with an example to illustrate the issue, in their email confirming attendance. Responses will be used to help shape the panel discussion.
To confirm attendance please email PublicMeetings@charitycommission.gsi.gov.uk
See the full meeting agenda.
Please note, members of the press are also invited to attend. For further information about the meeting, or to confirm your attendance, please contact the press office.
Notes to editors
The Charity Commission is the independent regulator of charities in England and Wales.
We are the independent registrar and regulator of charities in England and Wales, acting in the public’s interest, to ensure that:
- charities know what they have to do
- the public know what charities do
- charities are held to account
Press enquiries – office hours
0300 065 2123
Press enquiries – out of hours